Keep Calm and Save Your Teeth- How to Handle a Dental Emergency
An injury or accident involving the teeth can be serious and lead to permanent damage and tooth loss. When you’re injured or in pain, it’s important to see an emergency dentist as soon as possible, but knowing the right steps to take immediately after the event occurs is just as important. Here’s a quick reference guide for protecting your teeth when an unexpected dental emergency occurs.
Chipped and Broken Teeth
- Rinse your mouth and all broken tooth pieces
- Apply gauze if bleeding is present
- For relief of swelling and pain, use a cold compress
- See your dentist in Ocoee soon
- Rinse your tooth with water while holding its crown
- Don’t scrub the tooth or remove attached gum tissue
- Try to replace your tooth, but don’t force it
- If unable to replace your tooth, store it in milk
- If a tooth is only partially dislodged, apply a cold compress
- See an emergency dentist in Ocoee immediately
- Place sugarless gum into the cavity, or use an over-the-counter temporary filling product
- See your dentist as soon as possible
- If your crown falls off, see your dentist as soon as possible, and bring the crown
- To treat pain until your dental appointment, apply clove oil to the area with a cotton swab
- If possible, coat the inside of the crown with dental cement or denture adhesive and slip it back onto the tooth
Gum, Cheek and Lip Injuries
- Rinse your mouth with salt water
- Apply moistened gauze or a tea bag firmly to the site and hold for 10 to 20 minutes
- To relieve pain and lessen bleeding, apply a cold compress
- See a dentist in Ocoee, or visit a hospital emergency room immediately if bleeding will not stop
Finding an Affordable Dentist Quickly
To find an affordable dentist in a dental emergency, conduct an online search or consult your local hospital for references. The sooner you obtain professional dental care, the more likely you’ll be to keep your healthy smile intact.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Ocoee, call Advanced Dental Care of Ocoee today at (407) 502-2777 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Ocoee. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Ocoee, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Ocoee.