Quick Guide to Handling a Dental Emergency
When faced with a dental emergency, it’s essential that you know what to do. It’s important to seek emergency dental care as soon as possible, but the actions you take in the first few minutes after an accident or injury can dictate whether you keep a tooth or lose it. In any type of dental crisis, try to find an emergency dentist promptly, or if you have a serious issue like severe bleeding or impact to the head or neck, go to an emergency room immediately.
Common dental emergencies and how to manage them are listed below.
Lip or Tongue Bite
- Clean the wound and the area around it with warm water.
- Apply pressure to reduce bleeding and use a cold compress to reduce swelling.
- For serious bites or heavy bleeding, contact your dentist or go to an emergency room.
- Try to gently replace the tooth in its socket. If that’s not possible, place the tooth between your gums and cheek, or in milk.
- Seek emergency dental care immediately.
Broken or Cracked Tooth
- Rinse your mouth with warm water immediately.
- Use a cold compress to reduce and prevent swelling.
- Visit your dentist in Ocoee as soon as possible.
- Rinse with warm water and floss to remove any foreign objects between teeth.
- Do not chew aspirin or place it on your tooth.
- See your dentist if pain persists.
Object Stuck Between Teeth
- Attempt to remove the object with dental floss.
- Never use a sharp instrument to try to dislodge an object.
- Seek emergency dental treatment if object impedes normal function.
Avoiding a Dental Emergency
- Never use your teeth to open or cut non-food objects.
- Always wear a mouth guard during sports activities.
- Do not chew such hard objects as hard candies, popcorn kernels, or ice.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Ocoee, call Advanced Dental Care of Ocoee today at (407) 477-5004 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Ocoee. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Ocoee, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Ocoee.